St Mark’s was originally built as a wooden mission Church in 1884 to serve the people of the expanding village of Shavington. Following a fire it was rebuilt six years later from corrugated iron. Though it was only ever meant to be a temporary structure (with the aim of building a stone or brick church on what is now the church field) the church family continues to meet in the same building more than 135 years later!
In 1975, following a generous bequest, the corrugated iron was covered-up with stone cladding which gives the church it’s unusual appearance alongside other buildings in the area.
With its origins as a mission Church, St Mark’s has always had a big heart for its local community, and works alongside many other community groups for the good of Shavington and its residents. St Mark’s is a welcoming church family, laid-back and generous in its outlook. It is also willing to try new things, and enjoys being a creative and prayerful presence at the heart of Shavington.
In 1974 it was merged with All Saints Church in Weston, to form the current benefice of Weston with Shavington. As a whole parish we work together to fulfil our mission statement of sharing the love of Jesus with all.